It is unfortunate, but not uncommon, to have a negative judgment recorded on your credit report due to an unpaid debt. While these judgments were formerly reported on Experian, Equifax and TransUnion on a regular basis, they are now primarily reported by LexisNexis. LexisNexis is a lesser-known credit reporting agency that becomes important if you are attempting to purchase or refinance a home. Unfortunately, sometimes consumers check their credit reports only to realize that there is a judgment showing under their name that is not accurate. 

If you have inaccurate judgments appearing on your credit report, reach out to a credit attorney to assist you with this situation. With the attorneys at Raburn Kaufman, you can rest assured that the inaccurate judgments on your credit report will be handled professionally and efficiently. Our attorneys are highly experienced at litigating credit file errors under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) and dealing with incorrect judgments on credit reports. 

What Is a Judgment?

Judgment refers to a court order that gives a lender the right to use additional debt recoupment methods to get the debt owed to them. Aside from the original amount involved, a judgment may include interest and other costs like attorney fees.

The duration that a judgment can hang over your head varies by state. While it can be as low as five years in some, it’s as high as ten to twenty years in others. Some states even allow multiple renewals by creditors.

The above implies that the judgment may continue to negatively affect your credit score for as long as the judgment exists. Consulting an attorney is necessary to learn your options for using litigation to remove inaccurate judgments from your credit report. Reach out to Raburn Kaufman law firm today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced credit attorneys. If we don’t win, you don’t pay!

Get a Free Consultation

For the quickest response, please fill out our intake form below so that someone from our team can reach out to you as soon as possible. Our staff of attorneys is ready to discuss your FCRA issues and let you know if our firm is a good fit for your needs.

"*" indicates required fields

I give my permission for Raburn Kaufman to contact me via text message at the phone number I have provided.

Inaccurate Judgment Appearing on Your Credit Report?

If you believe that you have inaccurate judgments on your credit report, you may have a claim against the entities reporting the inaccuracy under the FCRA. Contact Raburn Kaufman today to schedule a free consultation with one of our experienced credit lawyers to discuss your options for recovery.

Why is an inaccurate judgment appearing on my credit report?

  1. The debt belongs to another consumer

If a credit reporting agency is reporting that you owe a debt that you do not owe, this may be the result of file mixing. File mixing occurs when the credit reporting agency erroneously reports one consumer’s information on another consumer’s credit file. This can occur when consumers have similar personal identifying information such as surnames, dates of birth, addresses, or social security numbers. This occurs most often among family members.

  1. Expired judgment period

In most cases, a judgment will appear on your credit report for seven years and six months. After this time period passes, however, the credit reporting agencies should no longer report the judgment. Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for credit reporting agencies to erroneously continue reporting judgments beyond the seven year, six month time period. 

Inaccurate Judgment on Your Credit Report

If you find yourself in a situation in which a judgment has been inaccurately reported on your credit report, it could be due to an error from the credit bureau. In some cases, however, inaccurate judgments may appear on your credit report as a result of identity theft. In any case, inaccurate judgments can affect employment and housing opportunities. 

Failure to quickly resolve inaccurate judgment credit reporting errors can be detrimental to your credit health. Contact our experienced inaccurate judgment credit reporting attorneys today at 877-662-2455 to schedule a free case evaluation and discuss which options may be available to you under the FCRA.

How Can an Attorney Help?

To effectively deal with the issue of an inaccurate judgment on your credit report, you need the help of a qualified attorney such as our attorneys at Raburn Kaufman. We’re a consumer law firm specializing in Fair Credit Reporting Act cases with nearly 25 combined years of experience helping consumers like you. Our vast knowledge of this area of the law positions us as your trusted advocates when handling credit reporting errors. Reach out to us at 877-662-2455 or email us at to schedule a free consultation and discuss your potential case with one of our attorneys. If we don’t win, you don’t pay!